Sunday, October 02, 2011

Today was a day of entertainment disappointments. I watched last night's season finale of Doctor Who. Without giving away spoilers, the ending "surprise" was glaringly obvious in the earlier part of the episode. It didn't have the gravitas of the Davies-era finales. I didn't feel like the world, or the universe, really was in dire trouble. The Pandorica finale was much better than this. Honestly, I felt like the last few episodes were rush jobs, like the production heads and writers weren't really trying. I think the actors are fine, and do well with what they have, but I'm not sure about everything else.

Then, I get through my second DLC on Fallout: New Vegas, Dead Money (I started with Old World Blues) and proceed to download Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road. I play the game on the Playstation 3 and, like most people, I've experienced bugs and crashes from day one. Patch 1.07 seemed to make things better, OWB worked fine, and DM didn't really have problems until right there at the end. Today I get the other two main DLCs plus the Courier's Stash pack. Now I can't play for more than half an hour before the game slows and finally freezes. At first I though it was a heating issue, and I've had the system on blocks for air flow, but this time I added in a desk fan to move the air. No luck. Searched the Bethesda forums for issues and found several others with similar problems. Someone had a pretty straightforward bit of advice involving reinstallation and disabling the auto-save feature so I give it a go. It was okay, got into HH, but it kept up the same problem whenever I was in the main world map. I've also learned that Obsidian has "turned off the lights" on Fallout: New Vegas, meaning that there are to be no more patches, which is infuriating for me and everyone else who has these issues. And I've repeatedly read that this problem isn't limited to the PS3 anymore. It appears that PC and Xbox 360 players are also having issues. I am, actually, pretty angry for having put around $100 (spread out over a year)  into a game that's pretty broken, and by a developer (Obsidian Entertainment) that has glibly ended its support for this game. I do hope that Bethesda leaves them out of Fallout 4 or whichever Fallout game they'll make for their guaranteed third game. Beyond that, as much as I love Fallout 3, I hope that Bethesda can continue with the franchise and that whatever they're developing for Skyrim has an influence on those supposed future games.

No comments: